3-year-old boy injured after falling into burn pit at Chelmsford beach

CHELMSFORD — A 3-year-old Lowell boy suffered burn injuries when he fell into a metal fire pit set up at Varney Park Beach along Freeman Lake on Sunday afternoon.

Chelmsford Police Sgt. Frank Goode said the boy was transported by ambulance to Lowell General Hospital for treatment of burns to his legs and buttocks.

The incident was first reported in an emergency radio broadcast at about 3:15 p.m. A medical helicopter was initially requested to transport the child, but then canceled, Goode said.

The beach along Freeman Lake was packed with visitors on Sunday with temperatures soaring into the mid-90s. Signs posted at the beach’s entrance state no open flames or cooking is allowed at the location.